History

Gold was likely first discovered in the Atlanta Mining District in the 1860’s.

For the next 100 years, intermittent exploration slowly advanced the project.  Two shafts were sunk in the main deposit in the early part of the 20th century, but production was small because visible gold is not present at the Atlanta site, and the technology for extracting gold from the siliceous rocks was not widely available.

In 1970, Rutherford Day acquired the Atlanta property and formed Bobcat Properties.  Bobcat purchased a small existing mill in northern Nevada and reconstructed it on the site.  Bobcat entered into a joint venture with Standard Slag, and together they put Atlanta into production from 1975 to 1985.

During the 10 years of production, the 800 ton/day mill produced 110,000 ounces of gold and 800,000 ounces of silver from 1.5 million tons of ore.  The project was shut down in 1985 due to low gold prices.

Bobcat Properties entered into several exploration leases during the intervening years, including those with Gold Fields Resources and Kinross Gold.

  • Gold Fields Resources optioned the project from 1990 to 1991.  Gold Fields conducted geochemical sampling and geophysics and drilled 82 core and reverse circulation (RC) holes.
  • Kinross Gold optioned the project from 1997 to 1998.  Kinross drilled 80 RC holes and conducted the first modern resource estimate (although it predates NI 43-101 standards and is not compliant with NI 43-101).
  • Both companies returned the project to Bobcat Properties at a time of low gold prices, when it failed to meet their corporate investment criteria.

Desert Hawk Resources entered into a purchase agreement with Bobcat Properties in late 2010.  Meadow Bay Gold became party to this purchase agreement when it acquired Desert Hawk Resources in early 2011.  The purchase of the Atlanta Gold Property closed in March 2011.